I have lived in Belmont for the past 16 years with my wife, Nancy, my two sons, Robert and Michael and my dog, Rudy. My sons attended Belmont Public Schools and Belmont Hill School, where my wife teaches French and Spanish. Before Belmont, we lived in both Watertown and Arlington, so I am very familiar with this area and all that it has to offer. I have been a coach of soccer, baseball and futsal for well over twenty years and can not imagine a year without coaching at least two or three teams. Real estate, however, has been my profession and passion for the past 25 years and I have also been a fully-licensed appraiser since 2006. I have sold and marketed hundreds of properties in the area and have distinguished myself as one of the top producers. My reward stems from the positive feedback, referrals and repeat business that I receive from my clients and customers.
What distinguishes me?
What my clients most seem to appreciate is the time I take to get to know them in order to find the home that suits their specific needs. I do not simply try to sell houses. There are often homes that seem to be a good fit, but I make sure that my clients are completely comfortable with the house, the neighborhood and the price. Otherwise, we keep looking. Once we find the right one, I help them through the entire process, from finding mortgage officers, attorneys or inspectors to simply making sure that it all goes smoothly from start to finish. Buying a house is a huge commitment and I make sure that all parties are satisfied and comfortable with the entire process.
What do my clients say?
Here is a recent example:
“I have worked with John over the past 3 years where I was represented by John through multiple real-estate transactions. What stands out with John is not only his knowledge of the local real estate market (and where it is heading) but also his attention to details and his perfected art of listening and asking questions that allows him in envisioning what you as his client is looking for. To John it is not about how quickly he is able to close a deal, but more so if it is the right deal for you. I strongly recommend John Montanaro for his win-win attitude and his commitment to his clients.”
What do I do for my buyers?
- Discuss and listen to my buyers’ wants and needs in a home and in a neighborhood.
- It is crucial to know the specifics of what my clients want and do not want.
- Sign a Buyers’ Representation Agreement and the Massachusetts Mandatory Licensee Consumer Relationship Disclosure.
- This allows us to formalize our relationship so that I can properly and confidently do my job for my buyers.
- Show only homes that meet their specifications, whether on the MLS or for sale by owners.
- I will not waste my clients’ time by showing them unsuitable properties, but I will show them as many properties as they need in order to find what is right for them.
- Provide a list of comparable neighborhood sales.
- In order to be knowledgeable about a property and/or an offer, it is important to know what other homes in the area have sold for and when they sold.
- Advise the buyers about the tax benefits of home ownership.
- Though not a tax attorney, with over 25 years of real-estate experience, I have basic guidelines that should help you understand the tax implications.
- Thoroughly write and explain all the purchase documents before the buyers sign them.
- Whether first-time home-buyers or not, I make sure my clients are comfortable and understand all the documents that they are signing.
- Provide the buyers with recommendations for real estate attorneys and competent professional home inspectors.
- My network of contacts in these domains can prove extraordinarily helpful.
- Walk through the home prior to the closing.
- I know what to look for and help my buyers feel confident that all is as it should be.
- Attend the closing.
- Although I can’t sign the documents, I am there with my buyers as they do.
- Keep the buyers informed all along the way of the buying process.
- Whatever the preferred means of communication: email, text messages, phone, I will keep my clients up to date from start to finish.
What do I do for my sellers?
- Prepare a thorough Comparative Market Analysis which will establish a fair asking price that is based on the current market data.
- This includes providing them with a list of comparable neighborhood sales, including not only sold properties but properties currently on the market and properties that have not sold. This helps clarify the pricing of my sellers’ home.
- Explain the entire selling process to the sellers.
- There should be no surprises. My sellers know exactly what to expect.
- Develop a campaign designed to give the home the highest profile and value.
- I will suggest ways to make the home more marketable and will be sure that your home gets you the highest possible price.
- Explain and write the listing contract before the sellers sign them.
- Once a price and plan of action is agreed upon, we put it in writing.
- Set up a photo shoot with floor plans.
- Professional photos make a world of difference when marketing your biggest asset.
- Place information on the MLSpin.com and other internet outlets.
- Maximum exposure is our primary goal.
- Install a Renaissance Realty sign post.
- Drive-by interest plays an enormous role in home-selling.
- Create an appealing listing sheet with photos and plans for interested buyers.
- Buyers often see many houses in a day. An impressive listing sheet is important when they review the properties that they have seen.
- Arrange a brokers’ open house with all top agents in the area.
- The more brokers that are familiar with a property, the more likely it is to find an appropriate buyer.
- Distribute custom-designed JUST-LISTED postcards in the neighborhood.
- Neighbors often know others that want to move to the neighborhood.
- Hold public open houses.
- The scheduling of this is important and is always done in order to maximize visibility and minimize inconvenience for my sellers.
- Keep the sellers informed on a frequent basis of all marketing activities on the home.
- Whatever the preferred means of communication: email, text, phone, I will keep my clients up to date from start to finish.
- Promptly present and advise the sellers on all offers to purchase.
- I am required to present all offers, but am always perfectly honest about the strength of the buyers and the offer.